MDA

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Big Surprise

I have been chasing a dream for over 3 years now. Sports Photography!!!

I have always had a passion for photography,owning a camera since the age of 6. I love to coach sports and have been active in area youth leagues for many years. As my sons grew older I combined these two passions, I started shooting my son's playing soccer and lacrosse in the beginning. I attended every HS event I could -soccer , basketball, football and wrestling. I spent many a night on wet dimly lit fields learning how to get the most out of my gear.I coach HS JV Lacrosse. Lacrosse is my favorite sport combining Skill,toughness,speed and hard hitting action. There is the challenge of catching a small white ball moving at 90-110 mph . Soon I moved to covering College Lacrosse in the triangle area of North Carolina . With both Duke and UNC in the area I was afforded many opportunities to cover 1st class Lacrosse. I took a paying gig shooting for Lax.com which helped my gain access and hone my skills.
In June of last year I approached South Creek Media about covering events for them in North Carolina. Ray and Kathy Miller,owners of South Creek, welcomed me aboard. Being a long time Duke fan I soon had access to Duke sports. A dream when I started this quest was to cover Duke men's Basketball. Through South Creek I was given game by game status to cover the men's team. Getting a season pass is hard and even harder for a new comer. The learning curve was rough at first, learning to edit and caption photo's under the gun of a halftime clock. I soon got a work flow that worked best for me. I was rewarded and surprised when I was informed in the press room at Duke before a game that I had my first ever published photo in the March 1st issue of Sports Illustrated!!!! SI was doing a story on foreign players playing college BB in the US. They used a pictue I took at the Duke vs Radford game.

This week I was informed by Jon Gardiner, the Duke Photographer that I had two Double Trucks in the Sports Illustrated Duke championship commemorative issue. I was completely overwhelmed to say the least. These are the photo's SI used.


A big thanks to Ray and Kathy Miller for giving me a chance. A even bigger thanks to my wife for supporting me as I chase a dream!!!!!!

No comments: